Friday, June 24, 2011

Mat-Su Glacier area, bears, moose and Top of the World Highway

One of the glaciers in the region
Kind of a tradition in Alaska I guess. We saw it all over so we did it too!

Up close with Adam


Mat-Su glacier


Another glacier - not to seem uncaring but I dont have the book with me to tell me the name. They are all amazing!


Either a great horned owl or a Northern Grey. We have to do some research.


Trumpeter swan.


One of the moose mamas and babies we saw. This little lake was just full of moose and they were really fun to watch.


Same mama and baby

Not sure why but most of the rivers looked "chocolate" - Not dirty but deep brown.



The view at the end of the Top of the World highway. A surprise to me but fun.

Us heading across on the ferry


Peregrin Falcon with a mouth full of rodent as it flew over our heads

Grizzlies!



You can see how close we were to these guys. He is right beside the road. A local who stopped also told us these were a couple of cubs as they werent to big. Mark and I about died laughing as we thought they were plenty big!


Our rock hound on a piece of "conglomerate" which is naturally occuring concrete mixed with rock.


Another stunning view across Fox lake I believe.

World Famous Cinnamon Roll- 4 of us didnt finish it.
A sad part of journey came yesterday as we had to leave Alaska and head back into Canada. Mark reminded me though that we will be back in Alaska as soon as we take the White rail Yukon train back in and head to Skagway. That will be next week, so I am letting that ease my pain. :)  The last two days have been amazing again with incredible sights and animals like crazy. The photos show alot of the high lights but really the bears were the stars of the day. We got up close and personal with them as they were right beside us. Obviously they were hungry enough that they didnt even seem to mind us watching. It was pretty cool. The moose are also cool and I love that we are here when they have their babies. Just makes it that much more fun. We will be spending a few days here in Whitehorse and then will head to Atlin. More adventure to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment